Sunday, July 25, 2010

Bathroom Renovation - Day 1 million (not really, but it feels like it)

So here’s the gig:
Heidi and I are doing a partial update to our bathroom because of a leaky shower door.

About 3 months ago, Heidi noticed some black mildew/mold growing on the baseboards near the shower door after she had touched up the baseboards with some white paint. Apparently, the water was “wicking” up the wall, just outside the shower.

After saving up money over the summer, we decided to get some quotes on what it would cost. The number we are working with is about $3,600 - $3,800. This will involve demolition of the existing shower (kit), the floors (linoleum), and the tub surround (ceramic tile) and installing porcalain floor, shower, and tub surround and new shower door.

We have been back and forth to Lowe’s about 5 times trying to figure out what tile to get. I’m trying to find something reasonably priced and Heidi wants what she wants. I don’t blame her at all; I’m just thinking that someone who would buy our house (if we ever sell) will have a difficult time telling the difference between $1.50 tile and $4.25 tile.

So, that’s where we are... in holding pattern for now until we determine what we want. And in the meanwhile, I guess we’ll all continue to live out of the guest bathroom.

I’ll update when we start moving somewhere with this, but as you can tell from the picture below, Heidi’s wishing it was already completed.

IMG_5201-2010-07-25-19-27.JPG

1 comment:

  1. I've got to say (and keep in mind this is coming from someone who doesn't own a house), that 3,800 seems like a lot of money to redo a bathroom. I'm not claiming knowledge of context, just that when I think of all the things I could do with that and the places I could see, it seems like a lot for redone tile and shower. But my priorities are obviously elsewhere... hahaha. If you guys need any help, I'd be more than willing to offer my invaluable inexperience if you want it...
    DC

    ReplyDelete