Sunday, May 23, 2010

My Trip to Texas - Day 2

It’s just before midnight on Sunday, May 23, and it’s been a good two days since I arrived on the farm. Please excuse my brevity as I skim the past day and a half. My brother Mike picked me up at the airport, and on the way home, we stopped at Dairy Queen in Weatherford, Texas, where he treated me to a Hunger Buster meal -- basic hamburger, fries, and a coke. After having this nostalgic meal, we continued our drive home, sharing sunflower seeds and good conversation about life, death, and a bit of politics (but just a bit and it was quite civil). After arriving home around 4:00, we visited with my brother Charlie (another brother). After saying hi to Dad and visiting for about an hour, we left for church in Colorado City, Texas. Mass lasted just over an hour after which we enjoyed a nice meal at Hidalgo’s Mexican restaurant with a perfect stranger. A man who had shown up in town/church stayed afterward and was asking for some money for food; apparently, he was making his way from somewhere in Colorado to San Angelo, Texas. My brother picked up the bill (again) for us; he is so kind-hearted and I never knew how much until this weekend. in addition to sharing this tasty meal (I had chile relleno), I ran into my 4th grade teacher Janet Moore and her husband Stan. She looked wonderful and it was nice to -- while only briefly -- to say hello and snap a picture of them together. My sister Mary Ann, who had spent the previous day in San Angelo for a Relay for Life event, picked me up at the restaurant on her way back to Loraine. After arriving home and unpacking the truck (Mary Ann had made trip to the Home Depot), I went inside and helped her change Dad. It’s hard work and I don’t know how she and my brothers do it each day. I spent the night in the room with him but didn’t get much sleep. He was restless, muttering quite a bit throughout the night, and I was easily awakened by that. I got up at 9:30 or so this morning and my brother Mike, Mary Ann, and I changed Dad again. From what I’ve learned, they change him about 3 to 4 times daily and each time it takes anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes to do so. It’s a labor of love, and as difficult as it is -- on so many levels -- I’m glad that I am able to do my small part this week. We ate a late lunch -- tacos, tamales, rice, and beans. My brothers Anastacio, David, and Ricky joined us. After eating, we customarily sat around the table and visited and debated and visited and laughed. Our conversation moved from less serious issues to a discussion about what to do with the estate in the following years. It’s hard to figure out with so many invested parties. We made good progress and I was able to put down some of the language that will be the framework for how we will proceed in the next several years. After this conversation, which lasted about three hours, I took Charlie back to his house in town. I came home and Mary Ann and I walked around the house to see what work she wanted me to do around the house. Tomorrow, I will be cutting down large branches. For the past two hours or so, I sat with Dad and watched the Suns and Lakers play. After that game was over, I helped Mary Ann change Dad before bed, and I’ve been watching Dallas Cowboys highlights while Dad fades into and out of sleep. I’m tired now; my eyes ache. I’m going to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment